Students make the most of their first year amid pandemic

Cristina Flores ’24 sits in front of her on-campus residence, Villiger Hall. PHOTO: MITCHELL SHIELDS ’22/THE HAWK

When George Worthington ’24 thought about what his first year of college would be like, he knew, because of the coronavirus pandemic, that it would be challenging.

Worthington had made some connections before he arrived on campus, mainly through social media. But he was still caught off guard by all of the rules that made meeting new people so difficult. According to the Hawk Hill Ready Health and Safety Plan, masks are mandatory in residence halls any time a resident steps out of their room. The only guests permitted in rooms are those who live in the same residence halls. 

“Over the summer I knew COVID was going to be a factor in my transition to college, but I never would have guessed that the lockdown and restrictions would be this strict,” Worthington said. 

Still, Worthington did his best. He got to know the people on his floor. His RA Connor Thomson ’22 helped, too. 

For Thomson, helping his first-year residents—who are stuck in a social limbo created by the pandemic—to make connections is one of the most important parts of his job.

“I made it my mission as an RA to provide them with opportunities to grow close with each other, both on the floor and then with programs outside, like outdoor social distance programs,” Thomson said.   

For many first-year students, the connections they have made with the people in their residence halls have taken on an outsized importance. Because so many classes are online and opportunities for in-person interactions outside of class are fairly limited, they spend a lot of time in their halls and in their rooms.

“The kids on your floor are some of your best friends and that’s what I’m taking advantage of,” Sean Dougherty ’24 said. “They’re pretty much the only kids I hang out with. We can’t go in other rooms, technically, so it is kind of hard but you got to take advantage of what you can.” 

Cristina Flores ’24 has also made friends with the women on her floor and does activities with them on the weekend.

“It’s been hard, but you just have to make the best out of it,” Flores said. “Everyone’s in the same pain, so everyone’s willing to be friendly and get to know you, [whether] you’re in the common room or in the bathroom or anything.”

Jayden Greene ’24 said he was not very social in high school, so he has had to force himself to be more outgoing in college. 

“I talk to people in the elevator and make a friendship right there,” Greene said.

As a member of the St. Joe’s men’s track and field team, Greene said he also benefits from friendships with his teammates, whom he called a “second family.”

“We watch a lot of fights and sports games,” Greene said. “We just go out. This weekend I went to King of Prussia, stuff like that, just to keep busy and stay out of trouble. They’re great guys.”

Even though many clubs and organizations have not been able to host in-person meetings or events, many first-year students have joined organizations to make connections online. 

Worthington joined the Pharmaceutical Industry Leaders of Tomorrow (PILOT). Flores and Laura van der Sluys ’24 both joined the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma.

“My sorority has helped me socially,” van der Sluys said. “We haven’t had any official in-person things, but I’ve still been able to go to dinner with a couple of the girls and meet people.”

Worthington said he met people on campus after he had established connections with them on social media before getting to St. Joe’s. Flores and van der Sluys also said they rely heavily on social media apps like Snapchat to get to know people. 

“Social media helps get that friendship going,” Flores said. “It’s a big asset because when you meet someone on the elevator or in your class and you get along, it’s like, ‘What’s your Snapchat?’ and then you can take them through that.”

Still, Thomson said he has noticed the frustration of his residents as pandemic college life takes hold, and he tries to keep them going. 

“I have been giving them that encouragement and motivation that there’s going to be a light at the end of the tunnel,” Thomson said. “Whether it’s at the end of the semester or the start of fall 2021, there will be an end to all this and they will be able to enjoy themselves in college.” 

In the meantime, van der Sluys said she is just grateful to be on campus as some of her friends are not yet able to attend college in person.

“The people here make all the difference,” van der Sluys said. “We can’t do too many things with COVID, but we make the best out of it.”