Early Bird gets the Weights

While many students prefer to hit snooze several times before their first class begins, there are a handful who like to get a leg up and work out early in the morning. 

For some early risers, that workout happens at the O’Pake Recreation Center. The facility offers a handful of different areas to exercise, including a cardio center, a weight room, group fitness rooms, a lap pool, two basketball courts and six tennis courts. Ben Falgie ’25 said working out early helps frame his outlook for the day.

“I see working out as a way to get into a routine and a schedule,” Falgie said. “This way I can stay on track in other places of my day.” 

Each student has their own unique routine. Falgie tries to keep a well rounded workout when he goes in the morning, splitting different kinds of lifts to stay healthy. 

“Usually when I’m there in the morning, I like to hit legs,” Falgie said. “But I try to mix it up and lift arms, back and chest.”  

The gym, which is normally full of people during the afternoon and night, is quiet and empty in its opening hours, according to Olivia Reilly ’23. Reilly said she usually likes to run on the treadmill in the mornings. 

“There are a couple of faces that are consistently there,” Reilly said. “But there’s never more than six people, sometimes even two or three.”

Reilly said she doesn’t mind the solitude.

“I like it when I’m alone because it’s my time to be chill,” Reilly said. “You know, listen to Taylor Swift, get gross and work out.”

For others like Matthews, the gym is a social spot, and he uses it as a chance to make new friends and talk.

“You see the same people there every morning,” Matthews said. “You can really build some strong relationships here, it feels almost like a community.”

Some students like Alex Matthews ’23, wouldn’t mind if the gym opened even earlier in the morning, given that the 7 a.m. opening restricts students with early classes. 

“I think it wouldn’t hurt, maybe if it opened around 6:30 a.m.,” Matthews said. “Just for those kids who have an 8 a.m. It would just be better for kids like me who prefer a little longer of a workout and don’t want to have to squeeze it into an hour.” 

Unlike last year, O’Pake does not require reservations to use the gym this year. Matthews said this is a nice change of pace for this semester. 

“It’s nice to not have to go through the trouble of making a reservation every time you work out,” Matthews said. “It’s really nice to have that leisure to stop in whenever you want, stay as long as you want.”