Mid-semester stress

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23/THE HAWK

Navigating the second half of the fall semester

Some students associate October with foliage, chilly weather, and of course, pumpkin spice lattes. Others focus on Halloween, associating the month with spooky movies and fun costumes. Despite their differing fall preferences, almost every student associates mid-October with midterms — specifically the stress they bring. 

By the time most students start college, they are familiar with midterms, having taken them in high school. Yet, managing the anxiety accompanying these tests rarely seems to get easier, evidently causing mental health stresses. When one test or paper determines a significant part of a semester grade, it is hard not to become anxious. But, there was light at the end of this midterm tunnel as we began counting down the days to Fall Break. 

Fall Break is particularly exciting for first-year students, especially those who haven’t visited home since move-in day. As one of these first-year students, I can definitely attest that I was happy to see my parents, my younger brother and my beloved dog. Leaving my laptop closed had honestly felt like a surreal experience, although, admittedly, I’d been checking  Canvas daily to look for any posted grades. Regardless, having time to rest my brain and focus on creative and recreational activities had undeniably decreased my stress levels. 

Above all, a mid-semester break like St. Joe’s Fall Break is extremely important, because time off helps students step back from the stress of exams, enabling them to improve their performance during the remaining weeks of the semester. Because college is generally viewed as a time defined by fun and new experiences, many people unfamiliar with the college experience brush off the mental health struggles of college students, claiming breaks are unnecessary. 

However, a 2018 study in Harvard Medical School’s news and research column reminds us that college years are “a time of increased risk of stressful events and a wide range of accompanying mental health challenges.” This increased risk can not be ignored as it affects the well-being of individual students and the community as a whole. 

Luckily, St. Joe’s has resources available for struggling students if they return from break and find themselves overwhelmed. The Office of Student Success specializes in helping individuals grappling with academic, emotional and environment-related stress. Seeking to make college life easier, the office “assists students in making connections with campus resources and provides coaching on strategies for having a positive transition to college and an enjoyable experience at St. Joe’s.”  On the St. Joe’s website, students can schedule an appointment and learn additional information about the office. Additionally, I recommend using a weekly planner and course organizer to help with time management. These resources are available online and are easy to print out or use digitally. 

A 2021 report from the Dean College Blog recommends students sleep between six and eight hours and eat unprocessed foods to decrease stress. A healthy body is vital to maintaining good mental health and thus increases a student’s likelihood of success. Although exams and papers may bring stress, St. Joe’s students like myself are excited to return to campus and get back into the swing of campus life.