Hawk Recs: Women’s History Month

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23/ THE HAWK

Happy Women’s History Month to all the women on campus! This week’s Hawk Recs are all from women who are killing it in their career industries. 

Song of the week: “Woman” by Doja Cat

This pop song by American singer-songwriter Doja Cat is an empowering love song written by a woman for women: “Divine feminine, I’m feminine,” reminding girls worldwide about the essence of a woman in all shapes and forms. The song also discusses some of the challenges that women face in a male-dominated world: “They wanna pit us against each other when we succeedin’ for no reasons.” If you’re looking for a song to loop this Women’s History Month, go and stream this song on Doja Cat’s album “Planet Her.”

Binge-worthy TV show: “Insecure”

From “The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl” on YouTube to her own show on HBO Max, the multi-talented Issa Rae created, co-wrote and stars in “Insecure.” The show follows the complicated adult lives of Issa Dee, played by Rae, and her friend Molly, played by Yvonne Orji. This comedy drama series has so many twists and turns that just when you think things are going well for both of them, something interesting happens, and we are thrown back into the chaos of their lives. All five seasons of this show are available to stream on HBO Max.

Must-see movie: “Lady Bird”

Many of us remember how difficult it was to be a teenager. Emotions are all over the place, and we just want to be “normal.” Greta Gerwig’s coming-of-age movie, “Lady Bird,” follows Christine, aka Lady Bird, from her senior year of high school to her freshman year of college, determined to leave her old life behind and start anew in New York City. Despite having a common storyline, this dramedy depicts it in a unique way. The movie holds nothing back, allowing us to witness its raw emotions in its entirety. “Lady Bird” is currently available to watch on Paramount+.