PCP unites pharmacy students on Hawk Hill and University City

Carly Richardson ’26, Dareen Alfroukh ’28, Dana Job ’28, Christina Matthew ’28 and Alyssa Jacobs ’28 introduce themselves to attendees of the PCP at Hawk Hill introductory meeting. PHOTO: SAVANNAH WARNER ’24 / THE HAWK

Leaders of Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (PCP) at Hawk Hill hope their new club will help unify pharmacy students who are now spread across the Hawk Hill and University City campuses.

Students in St. Joe’s PCP will do two years at Hawk Hill before completing four years of their six-year program at UCity.

“We ’re just trying to help students who are here starting PCP feel more like they ’re part of the group of PCP even though they ’re here [on Hawk Hill],” said Carly Robinson ’26, the club’s communications and social media manager.

Steven Dominguez, academic specialist in the office of the PCP dean, became the faculty advisor of the club after Laura E. Waite, PharmD, assistant dean of PCP Student Affairs and Admissions, proposed the idea to him.

Pharmacy students were introduced to the idea at a class meeting this semester, where they were encouraged to learn about the new club and participate. Alyssa Jacobs ’28, president of the club, along with many others on the executive board, joined this way.

“We built the club from the ground up and set the basis for what it is today,” Jacobs said.

The executive board hopes their initial meeting, held Sept. 11 on Hawk Hill, created a welcoming environment for all who attended. Future plans, according to Jacobs, include a visit from a CVS representative and potentially a tour around the UCity campus so students are acclimated.

“One of our main goals that our club is really focused on is creating and then maintaining a friendly environment and also a welcoming environment for all the undergrads on Hawk Hill who are in PCP, to keep that connection between the campuses even though we are far apart and just really help keep [students] involved,” Jacobs said.

Dominguez said he hopes this club will not only be an opportunity for students in pharmacy to meet one another before their graduate years at UCity, but also show them there are resources and support available on campus.

“We hope that they take this opportunity and know that we are reaching out to let them know we ’re excited for them to come to UCity and be part of the college as a whole and encourage them to participate and just to get to know one another,” Dominguez said.