Modern-day vintage

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

While the music scene is constantly changing, some sounds age like fine wine. As a result, today’s artists are incorporating these vintage melodies into their songs and generating a modernized vintage sound. No need to pull out your grandparents’ old record collection, these five songs will instantly transport you to the good old days.

“She” – Josh Groban

From Broadway soundtracks to Christmas albums, people love hearing Josh Groban’s smooth old fashioned tone. In his 2020 album, “Harmony,” Groban takes the song “She,” written by Charles Aznavour and Herbert Kretzmer in 1974, and completely transforms its melody into a brand new vintage love ballad. In true Groban fashion, this revitalized cover will have you swooning over his vocals mixed with the descriptive lyrics of inner woman beauty.

“Dreamer” – Laufey

Jazz is one of the most prominent musical genres you will come across when listening to vintage records. In 2023, this genre is being revitalized by 24-year-old Icelandic singer-songwriter Laufey. While all of the songs on her newly released album, “Bewitched,” employ old-fashioned jazz melodies,“Dreamer” perfectly encapsulates the same sounds Ella Fitzgerland and Billie Holiday would make if they were around now.

“Adeline” – The Dip

At first listen, you would probably imagine this song was released in the 1950s instead of in 2019. “Adeline” utilizes the crooner sound made popular by artists like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra for a modern setting. Using its background vocals and vintage rock ’n’ roll instrumentals, this tune will instantly transport any listener to a high school dance in the gym.

“From Paris With Love” – Melody Gardot

Another jazz singer, Melody Gardot started her career in Philadelphia with her old fashioned-hits. “From Paris With Love” employs many instrumental elements, all played by unemployed musicians from around the world during the covid-19 pandemic as a way to enable artistic collaboration during a time of isolation. Coming together, Gardot and all of the other artists featured create a vintage love song that will have you romanticizing your entire life.

“Strangers By Nature” – Adele

Even modern artists are wondering why we have strayed so far from that vintage sound, which Adele tried to recreate in her latest album, “30.” A homage to Judy Garland, “Strangers By Nature” employs strings to create a serene and romantic atmosphere embodied in Garland’s sound. As the opening song on her first album in over half a decade, “Strangers By Nature” will also have you hoping that more artists return to this vintage sound.