Found it on the map

GRAPHIC: GABRIELLA GUZZARDO ’23 /THE HAWK

From New York to San Francisco, artists love to write songs about their favorite cities across the country. No matter where you live, chances are there is a song about the place you call home. If you’re traveling over break, here are six songs about cities across the United States to get you from point A to point B.

“I Hate Boston” – Reneé Rapp

Sorry to all the Bostonians out there, but Reneé Rapp will probably not be touring here anytime soon. In her new album “Snow Angel,” Rapp sings about how her love for Boston has been tainted by her ex-lover. Mixing softer instrumentals with powerhouse vocals, this rock ballad will make any listener hate Boston too.

“Miami” – Will Smith

A Philadelphia native, Will Smith decided to trade away the city’s cold winter for a much hotter party scene. “Miami” praises the Floridian funk in true late ’90s fashion, employing a hip-hop beat to highlight all of the wonders the city has to offer. As the colder weather rolls in on campus, try to channel your inner Miami and party like you are in a city where the heat is on.

“Welcome to Hollywood” – Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z

At the start of her solo career, Beyoncé got all of her fans hooked on the glitz and glamor that comes from a life in Hollywood. Featuring her now-husband, Jay-Z, “Welcome to Hollywood” is an early 2000s pop hit that highlights the stardom that comes with the territory. This song will get any listener amped up on all of the lights, cameras and action found in the area.

“Knives of New Orleans” – Eric Church

New Orleans is known for its music scene, and this time it serves as the background of Eric Church’s country hit “Knives of New Orleans.” In true country music fashion, Church intertwines an upbeat country twang with the story of a wild adventure filled with guilt, acceptance and betrayal. True crime fans get excited, and listen to the manhunt that is underway in New Orleans.

Los Angeles – Olivia Olson

Sometimes living in a city transforms your personality, like it did Los Angeles native Olivia Olson. In her song “Los Angeles,” Olson sings about all of the wonderful traits she has gained in the city by employing a peaceful indie sound. While Los Angeles might not be for everyone, this song is a great judge of character for anyone wanting to move out to the City of Angels.

Philadelphia Freedom – Elton John

There was no other way to finish off this list than with the city that acts as everyone’s home at St. Joe’s. A song dedicated to John’s friend Billie Jean King and Philadelphia soul, “Philadelphia Freedom” is one of Elton John’s best known hits. This song perfectly encapsulates Philadelphia’s vibe through its patriotic and uplifting rock tune, even if it focuses on other aspects of St. Joe’s hometown.