Election 2018

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson 20.
Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

Candidates for Pa. 2018 midterm elections

The deadline to file candidacy for the midterm elections in Pennsylvania was March 20. A total of 100 candidates are running for Congress, 59 Democrats and 35 Republicans.

The candidates for the U.S. Senate are listed below with their stances on higher education or why they are running from their websites. Also listed are the U.S. House of Representatives, State Senate candidates and State Representatives for the districts surrounding St. Joe’s, along with candidates for Governor and Lieutenant Governor.

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

Candidates for U.S. Senate:

Senator Bob Casey, Jr., incumbent (D)

On higher education: “Senator Casey believes that higher education is a key to long-term economic growth and is often a ticket to the American dream. Anyone with the drive, fortitude, and desire to pursue the opportunities afforded by higher education should be able to realize that dream, regardless of their personal financial situation. Pennsylvania is fortunate to have the most institutions of higher education of any state and the rich diversity and economic advantages that come with them.”

Congressman Lou Barletta, U.S. representative (R)

On higher education: “In these tough economic times, it is clear we need smart solutions to get our economy moving again and putting Americans back to work. I recognize that institutions of higher learning are critical to our nation’s economic recovery. They help ensure that students and workers have the tools they need to succeed in the workplace. Therefore, I am committed to finding long-term solutions for postsecondary education; most importantly, keeping college tuition within reach for our nation’s students. In order to grow and support institutions of higher learning, I am also committed to reducing federal overreach in higher education and promoting increased transparency to protect students and taxpayers.”

State Representative Jim Christiana (R)

On higher education: “Jim believes that it is shameful that only 40% of students who attend college make it to graduation and only 20% finish within 4 years. Those lucky enough to graduate from college are shackled with student loan debt for nearly half of their adult lives. Americans have $1.4 trillion in student loan debt. That’s 40% more than credit card debt. Jim will bring a new vision for higher education to Washington. He wants more competition in the student loan market to drive interest rates down. He will encourage career and technical education and the lowering of the costs of higher education.”

Dale Kerns (L)

On why he’s running: “A free society is a prosperous place. Unfortunately, toxic Washington politics produce more and more legislation that further infringes on individual liberty. Politicians fail to protect individual rights and auction off your liberty to the highest bidder. This behavior puts special interests in control. Most politicians have no issue advocating for the use the force of government to dictate the most intimate and private aspects of your life. This must stop. It’s time Pennsylvanians have a candidate who fights to defend their liberty.