Voters concerned about election interference

Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson 20.
Graphic by Kaitlyn Patterson ’20.

The 2018 midterm election is just under a month away. Accurate information is critical for informed voting choices. Misleading, inaccurate or deliberate disinformation weakens the foundations of the democratic process. What have we learned from the 2016 voting interference efforts?

Who is interfering with American elections?

In the 2016 presidential election, Russia used cyberattacks to influence and manipulate voting. After the hacking threats from Russia, government officials are still worried that Russia will interfere during the 2018 midterm elections.

How is the 2018 election different from the 2016 election?

On Ulrich Schnauss’ podcast, “Nothing Happens in June,” NPR’s Greg Myre stated that the threats were the same but noted one major difference.

“The U.S. as a whole just really wasn’t paying attention, was extremely vulnerable,” Myre said. “The White House, even when they learned of the potential threats, didn’t want to say too much.”

In the 2018 midterm election, there are 435 house races, 35 Senate races and no presidential race.

What threats is the United States facing?

Russia has used social media to spread propaganda about socio-political divisions in the nation. Facebook has reported shutting down 650 accounts associated with Iran and Russia. Twitter reported suspending 284 accounts for manipulation. U.S. officials are worried that the 2016 cyber hacks will resurface during the midterm elections.

In August, U.S. Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coates stated that Russia was only “one keyboard click away” from interfering in the elections.

What is the government doing to protect voting?

The Department of Homeland Security formed an election security task force and a foreign influence task force to help state and local election boards protect voting.

The DHS is working specifically to protect the election machinery by offering security scans, equipment and other services nationwide. The Justice Department is working to alert the public when they find evidence of threats. They are working to show divisions on issues that are divisive, such as immigration and guns, to prevent manipulation from outside influences.

What can voters do?

Myre urged voters to be informed about the issues that are occurring in government.

“But at the end of the day, it’s up to the voters to be alert and have a good judgment about what they’re seeing,” Myre said.

The government is working to make sure they do a better job at protecting the election, so it is important for voters to do their part.