Heading home for turkey day

GRAPHIC: KELLY SMITH 19 / THE HAWK
GRAPHIC: KELLY SMITH ’19 / THE HAWK

Playlist for your Thanksgiving dinner party

Autumn is the best time of the year. The changing leaves, the crisp breeze and all the seasonal foods set a great mood.

Thanksgiving is the day to look forward to during the fall season.

Now, of course, every college student who desperately needs a long break loves Christmas, but Thanksgiving deserves more respect. Instead of skipping right to Mariah Carey and Bing Crosby, listen to these songs to get in the Thanksgiving mindset:

“Coming Home” by Leon Bridges

Whether you live near or far, going home for the first time in a while is awesome. Seeing your family and old friends is comforting and exciting. This song talks about coming home, being relieved and finally feeling at peace—the perfect mindset for Thanksgiving.

“Rivers and Roads” by The Head and the Heart

“Rivers and Roads” is a song about missing and reuniting with family and old friends. It is an emotional ballad about going on a journey. Whether home is in-state or across the country, this song is perfect for the commute.

“Cooking Up Something Good” by Mac DeMarco

Though this song isn’t necessarily about cooking up food, its chirpy beat is great to chill out to while you’re waiting for dinner to start. Relaxing and hanging out is an amazing way to bond with your family after not seeing them in a long time.

“Pecan Pie” by Golden Smog

Who doesn’t love some pecan pie? This song talks about the two best parts of Thanksgiving: being with the ones you love and pie. It’s a lot of fun to sing along to as well, making it an opportunity for an entertaining family jam session.

“Save Room” by John Legend

This song is about being with someone you love and not wanting to leave them.

Its title “Save Room” has a double meaning because Legend wants his loved ones to save room for him in their heart. At the same time, on Thanksgiving, we also want to save room for dessert.

“Like Real People Do” by Hozier

This soothing song by Hozier will set the perfect tone for a relaxing and heartwarming evening at home.

While the song talks about a romantic relationship, the sentiments of accepting people as they are can apply to friends and family as well. Thanksgiving is a great time to open your arms to others, especially those close to you.

“Home” by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

This song is the epitome of fun and love of family. It always puts me in a great mood. You can hear the smiles in the singers’ voices and the happiness they feel because they are home together. Thanksgiving is a time for togetherness, and this song embodies it.

We all need a break from our hard work this semester, so these songs can help remind you Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Follow this link to listen to the playlist on Spotify.